This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Friday, January 14, 2005

HDD for Sun Ultra 1

I'm looking for a hard drive upgrade for my Sun Ultra 1. This post has some useful info.
> Ultra-1's generally have an 80-pin connector, not 68-pin, since the

> drives connect using the hot-swap brackets similar to the server line.
> I've bought 18GB Seagate drives and swapped them with no problem. The
> requirements are:
>
> a) 1" high, also called 1/3 height or low-profile, often Seagate
> model numbers ending in "LC"
> b) 80-pin connector which carries 68-pin SCSI as well as SCSI ID
> selector and power to the drive


> You should check your hard drive.  The original drives for Ultra1's

> were 80-pin, SCA hard drives NOT 68-pin hard drives.
>
> The ST39173WC will work as will the other WC drives. All of these have
> an 80-pin, SCA connector.
>
> eBay.com is a good place to "pick-up" SCA hard drives (new and used;
> Sun, Seagate, IBM, Fujitsu, etc.). My preference is Sun or Seagate.




No comments: