This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Monday, January 24, 2005

Transmeta gave up

Transmeta today announced that it will change its business model by March 31 of this year. Strategic changes include abando
ning the production of its processors and shifting its focus to licensing its technology to other companies.

It's a pity. It was a very interesting idea with code morphing technology. I always had my doubts in it, but hoped that they'll succeed.

I've read that it's somewhat similar to what Russian were doing with Elbrus super computers. Actually, they are still working on similar technologies in MCST Elbrus.
It's those guys who orginally worked on Elbrus super computers, led by Babayan. They claim that they developed microprocessor, which can run other processors byte-code more effectively that the originals. They mean Intel. Knowing how these sort of things were declared in Soviet Union, I have even stronger doubts than with Transmeta. Soviet scientists and engioneers used to claim all sorts of colls things, which nobody ever got to see in reality. It sounds incredible and there's no real thing yet. Suspicious...

As to Elbruses, I never saw them in my life. They had strange computer language called Okkam or Occam, no idea how it's spelled in English. The largest Soviet computer, with which I ever worked, was ES-1056 or 1066. We also had BESM-6 mainframes and SM-1800 mini-computers. ES - was a clone of IBM 360/370 series, SM - was a clone of PDP minis. BESM was ana original soviet design.

No comments: