This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Thursday, February 24, 2005

SLATEC

After a few days of research, I came to a conclusion that there's no free numerical algorithms library for Java comparable to CERNLIB. It seems that the only good commercial library is JMSL from Visual Numerics. There's also a book, which I mentioned in the earlier post, but its source codes are not free. Its source codes were probably automatically converted either from the previous convertion from Algol to C, or directly from Algol. I don't know how good is this library, it wasn't used extensively indeed.

On the other hand, there are several public domain and free libraries in Fortran and C/C++. GNU GSL is a good one, but it's derived from other pubic domain software. Maybe the best way to build Java library is to port directly from original libraries. So far, I see two best candidates: CERNLIB and SLATEC. It seems that CERNLIB is GPL and SLATEC is public domain. Also, NUMAL is public domain, but I couldn't get its sources anywhere. NUMAL is in Algol 60 and last updated in 1980, while SLATEC in Fortran was updated in 1993. I don't know about CERNLIB, but I guess it had to be updated in 1990s.

No comments: