This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Thursday, September 22, 2005

O'Reilly Network: An Interview with Chris Date

O'Reilly Network: An Interview with Chris Date

It's a very interesting interview with CJ Date, who wrote my favorite RDBMS book An Introduction to Database Systems, and a new one called Database in Depth: Relational Theory for Practitioners, which I still have to look at.

So I certainly don't find "appealing" any of the things that (it's been claimed at one time or another) are supposed to replace the relational model. And in this connection I'd like to say explicitly that I reject, as proposed "replacements" for the relational model, both (a) XML and the semistructured "model," which I see as reinventing the old failed hierarchic "model," and (b) objects and the object-oriented "model," which I see as reinventing the old failed network "model."

No comments: