This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Monday, September 11, 2006

Hans Rosling on TED Talks

Hans Rosling is professor of international health at Sweden's world-renowned Karolinska Institute, and founder of Gapminder, a non-profit that brings vital global data to life. With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, he debunks a few myths about the "developing" world. (Recorded February, 2006 in Monterey, CA.) I must say that this was one of the best presentations I've seen in my life. Hans Rosling is a very talented presenter, but what struck me most is the way he animates multi-dimentional statistical data. The issue is that a computer screen has only two dimentions, but usually we have multi-variate dependencies. He uses a beautifull piece of software, which allows to show these dependencies by applying animation and other tricks.

Read more at www.ted.com/tedtalks/te...

No comments: