This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy Carter

I saw Carter's interview on Charlie Rose show. He seemd to have a reasonable and balanced approach to the problem, which is rare in american politics.

Apparently, a bunch of people are unhappy with "apartheid" in the title.

That criticism is the latest in a growing chorus of academics who have taken issue with the book, including Alan M. Dershowitz, professor of law at Harvard, who called the book “ahistorical,” and David Makovsky, director of the Project on the Middle East Process at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

“I was just very saddened by it,” Mr. Makovsky said. “I just found so many errors.”

Mr. Carter’s use of “apartheid” in the title has attracted much of the controversy. The Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles released a statement on Monday saying the former president harbors bias against Israel. “There is no Israeli apartheid policy, and President Carter knows it,” the statement read.

But Mr. Stein’s criticism of the book has been perhaps the sharpest cut.


I wonder how impartial are mentioned "academics" on this issue.

No comments: