This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

El Laberinto del Fauno

Finally, I had chance to see Pan's Labyrinth. What can I say? I read a lot about the movie before going to watch it. Maybe it was mistake. Also, the trailers are totally misleading. The movie's nothing like its trailers.

I liked the movie. It's not a Hollywood fantasy, nor it's in the domain of conventional realism. It's more in line with what I'd call "mystic realism". I get tired of American movies. They seem to be detached from the reality of our life. On the other hand, it's hard to live in the world where nothing magical ever happens.

In Pan's Labyrinth it's hard to separate the real from the magic. They are so intertwined. Grimm Brothers' and HC Andersen's tales are quite brutal, and this movie's also not trying to spare its characters from troubles. The ending' somewhat predictable yet powerful and strong.

No comments: