This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Friday, February 06, 2009

My Banks closings prediction status

I predicted that at least 100 banks would be closed by Sep 25 2009. Here's a tally of failed banks by FDIC. So far it's 22 banks in 4 and half months, i.e. almost 5 banks per month. We're behind the schedule! By my deadline we'll have only 60 failed banks, unless we up the pace.
Obviously, this list doesn't include banks which were consumed by other banks. Technically, they didn't fail. For instance, compare IndyMac and Wachovia. The former was offically closed by FDIC, while the latter was acquired by Wells Fargo in FDIC engineered deal. IndyMac is counted as failed, but Wachovia is not.

No comments: