This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Memories...

Bediako posted today on NoVAJUG board that he wrote his first applet in Oct 1995. I was also under impression that I used Java in beta first time in 1995, but then when thinking about it more it sounds unlikely. In 1995 we didn't have a reliable Internet yet, if I recall correctly. We probably had one dedicated PC for Web access. So, it seems more likely that my first Java experience came later, maybe in 1996. Surely, by 1997 I did some Java programming. Here's early press release from SUN, which states that January 1996 was 1.0 release and that it was available in beta since 1995 May.

I noticed recently that I don't remember many tools, which I used in the past. It took me awhile to recall the names of real-time OSs on our computers. One was called ОСРВ in Russian, which stands literally for RTOS. It was a clone of RSX-11 running on Soviet clone of PDP-11 called СМ-1600. Another one was a clone of RT-11 running on Soviet clone of some other DEC computer called Электроника 60.

No comments: