This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Thursday, March 25, 2004

NoVALUG

I haven't been there yet, since I didn't know about NoVALUG. I'm thinking about attending the next meeting on Aug 3, 2004. It's going to be about TeX and LaTeX document publishing system. TeX was the first such system I ever used. It's been developed by Prof. Donald Knuth, the author of The Art of Computer Programming (TAOCP) - my favorite book on Computer Science. I learnt algorithms with it. The long awaited Volume 4 is coming soon.

I recall how disgusted was I, when switched from TeX to MS Word. I left the research lab and joined the commecial company, where MS Office was a standard suite. TeX's printouts were and still are uncomparably better than from Word.

I'm curious to see where is TeX now, what are the tools etc. Maybe I'll attend the meeting.

No comments: