This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Terrorism is the war of the poor. War is the terrorism of the rich.

Today afternoon we've seen a demonstration in Washington, DC on Connecticut Ave. Approximately 100 people were going down the avenue towards the Mall. We probably saw this near by the intersection with H street, you can see the Riggs bank's branch. Actually, I'm not sure if it was still Connecticut or became 17th. They were all in black, carrying banners, and a black flag with Arabic letters.



I don't know what was the cause. It looked like they mourning someone. I guess that it's about a murder of Mr. Rantissi. Police blocked all right lanes, we took the left lanes and couldn't stop and ask what was going on.

I wouldn't write about this encounter, there are many demonstration in the capital city, but when i came home and looked at the pohotos, one banner caught my attention. It's the banner on the right side of the next picture, it says "Terrorism is the war of the poor. War is the terrorism of the rich."



Update: I was told that this demonstration was about Imam Hussein, see here. I was right with my assesoment of its size.

No comments: