This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Started reading Hull's book

So far so good. I like it. It starts with introduction to derivatives, and doesn't require any economis or finance. Not much of math in first chapters. We'll see what's going to happen after chapter 5.

On the other hand, the book Bernt Odegaard's book wasn't suitable for me. It's for those who know derivatives and only need to write programs to implement computations. There's a little more math background in some chapters, but overall it's just implementation of formulas in C++.
Also, the author implements all numerical algorithmsc in his C++ programs. For example, to find out internal interest rate, one has to find a root of a non-linear equation. This book's C++ code actually implements root-finding algorithm, which is a little strange to me. I would use one of the available math packages, such as GSL. It's ot because I'm too lazy (which is true). The reason is that math algorithms tend to be tricky in implementaion, so it makes a lot of sense to use a proved one instead of coding it yourself. When I programmed numerical computations I implemented my own versions of well known algorithms only if I had to tweak them somehow.

No comments: