This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHy do Kazakhs need so many letters in alphabet?

Kazakh alphabet has a ridiculous number of letters in it, something like 42 or so. I don't even know how many exactly. Why so many? Someone simply added all Russian letters, then threw in our own ones and voila! A truckload of letters!

I'd first start with throwing out foreign Russian sounds, like Ф. There's no freaking F(Ф) in Kazakh language. Why do we need a letter for something we don't have?! If we first clened up the alphabet of rubbish, and ONLY THEN moved to Latin - it would have been nice. Simple and stupid transition to Latin with all those foreign sounds doesn't make any sense to me.

No comments: