This is Argyn's blog. I comment on topics of my interests such as software, math, finance, and music. Also, I write about local events in Northern Virginia, USA and all things related to Kazakhstan

Monday, June 08, 2009

Lost in translation

I found this report on our talk in JavaOne 2009. We've got our updated slides late to conference organizers, so they added only my name to our session information, and my co-worker Francis's name was missing. I guess that's the reason for some confusion over the quotes in this report. The following's my corrections:
  • it sais that I'm a project manager. Oh, I'm not!
The following quotes were not mine, it's Francis:
  • ...said that one of the biggest lessons is that you need to have your infrastructure do the provisioning for you automatically, or otherwise you end up spending a lot of time just turning things on and off. He said they are now using configuration APIs to automate this process, whereas before they were using scripts. This allow for automatically throttling and failover recovery without human intervention.
  • ...advised "You need to make sure you use the right tools … You don't want to have to worry about provisioning and reliability. Make sure you have provisioning, failover, monitoring and SLA out of the box.
  • Make sure you have provisioning, failover, monitoring and SLA out of the box.
It's not that I disagree with them, but they should be attributed to a right guy.

No comments: